Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Rookie Dad: It's mango-riffic


I'm stunned by the choices available in baby food. I made this discovery as I stood, my mouth very much open, in an aisle at the local Target store. Being a tight-wad, I compared prices between the two-packs of Gerber goodies in plastic tub two-pack form and single glass jars (which I am saving for a project). Numbers running through my head, I settled on the slightly cheaper plastic tubs and then stood befuddled struggling to choose what flavors to buy. I am not exactly a infant taste-ologist. I don't know what flavors are hot and trendy for the summer. This is meat and potatoes country but I didn't see a pot roast flavor so I bent over and began re-examining the flavor selection.

I know that The Youngling totally digs both carrots and sweet potatoes so those went in my basket. But those are vegetables and everyone knows that little baby girls also need fruit. I scratched my head as I tried to remember what fruits she had already been accustomed to by using the four meals rule. Pears were golden to her but I didn't see those in the stage two tubs.

Then, like a star guiding me to the holy land, I saw it. Mangoes. Mangoes! Babies apparently have rather advanced taste buds. I'm fairly certain that 30 years ago I wasn't sitting in a high chair eating and covering myself in pureed mangoes. The Youngling is a lucky little girl to have such a vast array of flavor at her stubby little fingertips and she better watch out because I'm always looking to jazz up my lunch selection and those tubs of mangoes are definitely tempting.

No comments:

Post a Comment