Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Rookie Dad: For the love of cereal


Cereal is apparently the first step in solid foods for infants. Hey, everything is news to me but I've got a pretty firm handle on this "solid" food stuff. After all, I managed to buy the cereal not once but twice already.

It's been just over two weeks since The Youngling had her first meeting with cereal. That first time went surprisingly well and if that box of questionable looking Gerber Rice Cereal is an acquired taste, the baby has met her new favorite food.

Last night, as I quickly threw some chicken on the grill, I lingered for a minute or two outside and as I came back through the kitchen and past the dining room I was informed that The Youngling had eaten all of her cereal. Now I can't definitively tell you the quantity of cereal she currently eats I can say that it's between a couple ounces and a couple pounds and the fact that this sutbborn girl who won't eat cereal if dad is feeding her powered down this gruel in about two minutes time is nothing short of impressive. Even more impressive was the fact that she wasn't wearing the cereal. Previous times she'd had cereal from just below her eyes stretching to just above her waist. The prissy princess herself had managed to stay mostly clean and wasn't screaming. Score one for mom as dad was once again reminded that during some parts of raising a child, he's best left to cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment