Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Rookie Dad: It was just a cookie


As I sometimes do, I was giving The Youngling a bath last night. It's a common occurrence after a messy supper as it's both necessary and easier than an extensive clean-up.

After the tub's water was up to the appropriate level I lifted the little girl into the excessively large tub and she proceeded to splash around and throw her duckies. That's when I noticed a certain matter at the bottom of the tub. Having seen her poop in the tub once before (which is one time too many) I quickly flipped the lever for the drain and snatched her from the tub.

I'm a pro at this procedure so I quickly cleaned the tub and refilled it with a towel-draped toddler standing alongside the tub. With water back in the tub, I stood The Youngling back in the tub, she walked around some then sat down and begin splashing again.

That's when I noticed a substance on the edge of the tub. I chalked this up to a toddler's possible curiosity but something about the color just didn't add up. Being either extremely brave or extremely stupid I leaned in for the classic sniff test. Having a full stomach this might not have been the brightest idea I have ever hatched but I did it anyway.

I immediately felt like an idiot. The mystery substance on the side of the tub wasn't poop. Instead, it was peanut butter. I quickly deduced that the particles in the water was logically the remnants of a Nutter Butter which The Youngling had been munching on for her dessert. So I had been fooled by a 16 month old and a cookie. I guess I'll have to do a thorough pat down before she gets in to the tub from now on to make sure she's not not smuggling cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment